Yesterday I had a request for a recipe using zucchini that was a little more ‘unique.’ Something that wasn’t zucchini bread or simply roasted. I didn’t actually have a recipe written out – but an idea for a dish that I really enjoyed – combining lean protein and zucchini that makes great leftovers and weekday lunches. So I put my creative juices to the test – and developed the following. I tested it out last night and in my opinion, it was a delicious success! Make sure to use ground turkey breast – not just ground turkey – to ensure you have the leanest protein source. You could also use ground chicken breast. I used diced, no salt added tomatoes to keep the sodium in check. Enjoy with a big side salad and you’ve got a lean, low carb, high protein, high fiber meal that satisfies.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- 2-3 large or 4 small zucchinis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (or more as desired)
- 1, 15-oz can diced tomatoes, drained 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice washed zucchini in half the long way and then slice off about 1/8″ of each bottom so it can lay flat on the baking sheet or pan.
- Scoop out the inside of the zucchini.
- Place those zucchini in a 13×9 pan that has been brushed with olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Roast at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté onion until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper, oregano, salt, pepper and ground turkey. Cook until browned.
- Stir in basil and canned, drained tomatoes and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of mozzarella cheese at the bottom of each zucchini shell.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and all of parmesan.
- Place pan back in the 350° oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes until thoroughly heated, and cheese is melted/starts to brown.
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh, slivered basil and serve.