I recently started doing nutrition talks for a couple local running groups and have been sharing a favorite pre- and post-workout snack with attendees that they seem to really like. Since the recipe handout is by far the most popular handout I bring along with me, I thought I’d share it here for you all to enjoy. These bites are particularly good for peanut butter/chocolate lovers (like me) – but you could also change it up with another nut butter and/or substitute raisins or dried cranberries for the chips, if you wanted.
Enjoy and more to come later about what I talk about during those nutrition talks!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe found on womensrunning.com
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup light agave nectar/syrup
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut, shredded (sweetened or unsweetened if desired)
1/8 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Place 1 cup oats, agave, peanut butter and coconut into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Place dates, 1 cup oats, and chia seeds in a food processor. Pulse until dates and oats are finely chopped.
3. Add processed mixture to mixture that was set aside and stir well to combine.
4. Add chocolate chips and stir until mixed.
5. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
6. Remove from refrigerator and scoop by heaping teaspoonful into hands and roll into balls/small bites.
7. Place bites in air tight container and store in refrigerator for up 3 weeks.
Makes about 2-3 dozen or 24-36 bites